Here’s 3 tips from ~
5 PET-CONSCIOUS TIPS FOR VALENTINE’S DAY
1. Melts in Your Mouth, Not in Theirs. Everyone knows that chocolate causes abnormally high heart rhythms in dogs, among other problems. But not everyone is aware that baking chocolate is especially toxic. While an M&M or two may not do any harm, a dog or cat that snatches a large chunk of baking chocolate from the counter may end up in the ER. It is essential to keep all chocolates out of your pet’s reach. Yes, even that last raspberry-filled nugget from the assorted box of chocolates no one ever seems to want to eat.
2. Skip the Candygram. Sugar-free candies and gums often contain large amounts of Xylitol, a sweetener that is toxic to pets, especially dogs. If ingested, it may cause vomiting, loss of coördination, seizures; and in severe cases, liver failure.
3. A Rose is Just a Rose. But then again, it can also be something that hurts your pets. The aroma from your floral arrangement may be too enticing for your dog or cat, and it only takes a nibble to cause a severe reaction. Even small amounts may lead to cases of upset stomachs or vomiting, particularly if the plant or flower is toxic. Be extremely careful if your arrangement contains lilies, as these lovely flowers are fatally poisonous to cats.