Can I have a do over please? I’m so sorry Casey.
The rest of the story was written before abruptly changing his diet back to Fromm Pork & Peas and giving him 2 Adult 25 mg Benadryl. [Ask your Vet, but our Vet in OKC said store brand like Wal-Mart is ok. Just be sure the only ingredient is Diphenhydramine.]
Potato, lamb meal, tomato pomace, chicken fat* (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potassium chloride
*The chicken fat used in FirstMate Pet Foods is processed free of protein, eliminating the risk of allergies derived from chicken.*
78% Protein From Australian Lamb
22% Protein From Potatoes
I remember seeing this brand at the Feed Store in OKC. They gave me a sample for Jake. He turned his nose up at it . . . wouldn’t even try it. The Feed Store in Enumclaw did not recommend this food for Casey.
▪ Controversy over is lamb really hypoallergenic?
▪ Potatoes are carbs, making this food higher in carbs than protein.
▪ Be a purist and stay away from Chicken Fat.
I’m glad I drove out to Enumclaw. It was worth the 30 minute drive. They advised me NOT to give up on Victor yet as it takes 30 days to get the old food out of your pet’s system. That’s why Vets say a food trial takes 8 weeks. If I decide to stop the Victor food trial, these are the 2 brands they recommended:
♥ 100% Natural – all nutrition derived only from whole foods and all natural ingredients
♥ Nutrient Dense & Highly Digestible – your pet utilizes more of the food’s nutrients and produces less waste
♥ Different Protein Formulas for Rotations – easy to vary diet and avoid developing allergies to any specific protein
♥ Natural Antioxidants – derived from fruits and vegetables grown in the USA
♥ Low in Carbohydrates – ideal for natural carnivores, like dogs and cats
♥ Lower Moisture Content – more nutrient dense foods so you feed less, reducing the cost per feeding
♥ Probiotics & Enzymes – increase bio-availability and aid in digestion; found naturally in whole foods, plus added to dry kibble after cooking
• NO man-made, chemically synthesized vitamins, minerals or amino acids.
• NO chemical preservatives, artificial flavorings or colorings
• NO corn, wheat, soy, rice, potato, tapioca or glutens
$80 25 lbs. (OUCH!)
100% PROTEINATED MINERALS
• More available for absorption and more active in the body than sulfates and oxides
• Marked improvement in coat quality
• Sprayed on the outside of each kibble to quickly activate in the digestive system
SUPER PREMIUM NUTRITION
• Glucosamine and Chondroitin in ALL of our formulas
• Balanced Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids (Enhanced with DHA)
• No by-products and no corn
• Naturally preserved
• Protected Vitamin C
• Natural Anti-Oxidants
$67 25 lbs. (Around the same price as Fromm)
The Feed Store in Enumclaw also recommended adding Probiotics or Enzymes. I bought a pint of “Raw Goat’s Milk Formula for Cats & Dogs” by Answers Pet Food for $5.99. They keep it frozen and recommend thawing in the refrigerator. Once opened, it has to be used in 2 weeks.
Pour a Little Love♡
Grass-fed goat’s milk provides natural goodness
Quickly and effortlessly enhances your pet’s diet
Our special ingredients: cinnamon, honey and cultures
Great for fussy eaters!
Comes in environmentally friendly and recyclable paper cartons